Family & Friends | Mittineague Park | Home | Walk Photos | Wildflowers | Scripting | Sitemap | Blog | Contact |
Mittineague.com Home Mittineague
Welcome to the Mittineague Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

possible compatibility with wpmu

Posting is closed between 03:00:00 and 06:00:00 (GMT - 4 Hours)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovizii
Newcomer Level I
Newcomer Level I

PostPosted: March 20 2009, 02:55    Post subject: possible compatibility with wpmu Reply with quote

hi there.
this plugin works with wpmu but on a blog by blog basis. i.e. I would have to activate it for each blog and then manually clean up every blog.

this plugin would be great if it detected wpmu and would allow the sitewide admin to clean up all blogs.

this is very interesting because new users, ususally activate all sorts of plugins to test them, so it would be very interesting to the sitewide admin to clean up from time to time...

do you think this could be made possible? I can give you more info if needed...
Mittineague
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: March 20 2009, 14:37    Post subject: Clean Options plugin with WPMU Reply with quote

It's a coincidence that you post this. I was thinking about your thread from a few months ago regarding having the plugin work with WordPress MU.
And I have just begun to look into it. I have downloaded version 2.7 and I am in the process of installing in on my localhost server for testing even now.

It may take while, but I think that with a few modifications I should be able put something together that will either work with both WordPress and WordPress MU, or at least be able to provide a MU version as a "branch" of the plugin.

I'll post back here from time to time to let you know how the progress is going.
Mittineague
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: March 20 2009, 19:48    Post subject: WPMU user's options Reply with quote

After a few false starts I managed to get WPMU installed and set up a couple of sub-blogs.

But I can't find a way to let users install and delete plugins. Are you using a plugin that gives them the ability?

If you're talking about options left over after the main admin deletes a plugin, then I think that should be easy enough to do.
Mittineague
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: March 21 2009, 13:45    Post subject: differences between WordPress and WordPress MU Reply with quote

I've been getting familliar with WordPress MU. These are some of my observations so far.

In a "vanilla" install of WordPress MU :
  • The MU admin controls which plugins the blog admins have available for activation and deactivation. The blog admins can not install or delete plugins.
  • Plugin options are kept in individual "prefix"_"id#"_options tables.
  • "rss_hash" options are kept in the "prefix"_sitemeta table.

In a WordPress blog, the single admin has all control over plugins, and both types of options are kept in the single "prefix"_options table.

Although it might be possible to add code to the Clean Options plugin so that it would be compatible with MU, I feel the differences justify having a seperate MU version. I have already starting on this, but it will take a little more time before the Beta is ready for initial release.

So far I have learned how to access the multiple blog options tables and the sitemeta table (where the site-wide options are kept), and I won't need to do a complete rewrite, but I'll need to make a few more changes, go through things a few times, and do some testing.
ovizii
Newcomer Level I
Newcomer Level I

PostPosted: March 26 2009, 05:31    Post subject: Re: possible compatibility with wpmu Reply with quote

thx for getting so involved...

after reading your answers I am unsure if this is really suitable for wpmu Sad

the point is: I offer blogs. I get 100 users, who try out every plugin I offer, then simply decide they don't need it and deactivate it. not their tables are cluttered with useless information and their options table grows bigger and bigger.

I'd be basically interested in cleaning up the users options table clearing every setting and stuff that is not active anymore, not necessarily removed...

do you think something liek that is possible?
Mittineague
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: March 26 2009, 13:17    Post subject: deactivated vs. uninstalled Reply with quote

The Clean Options plugin finds orphaned options, that is, options in the table that belong to uninstalled plugins. It does not find unused options that belong to plugins that are installed but not active.

Some plugins clean up after themselves and remove the options and/or tables they created when they're deactivated and/or uninstalled. But of course, most do not.

A possible problem that I can think of is with plugins that have many options. If I set a bunch of parameters for a plugin, and then deactivate it, those options will be unused. But if I later re-activate the plugin, those parameters will still be set saving me the time and trouble of setting them again.

It would be one thing if I removed the options for my own blog, but your users may get upset if you did it.

I can see where this is a concern, many users will have rows in their tables for plugins that they will never re-activate, and these could safely be removed. But unless the plugin is actually uninstalled, you have no way of knowing for sure, short of asking them, if they might want the settings there later.

That said, I think there still might be a use for a MU version of the Clean Options plugin. Even if finding left-over rows from uninstalled plugins is a minor need, finding old rss_hash options in the sitemeta table would most likely be very helpful. If you look at your sitemeta table, are there many rows beginning with "rss_"?
ovizii
Newcomer Level I
Newcomer Level I

PostPosted: March 27 2009, 02:55    Post subject: Re: possible compatibility with wpmu Reply with quote

well, the current installation, which is quite small has 240 rss_hash entries... dunno if thats a lot?
Mittineague
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: March 27 2009, 13:35    Post subject: number of rows Reply with quote

Well, it's certainly not 740,000

How many are old and not needed depends on your setup. If there is only the dashboard feeds getting cached, then most of them are old. But if a lot of your users are showing RSS feeds, then maybe they're all mostly current.

The names of the rows are hashes of the feed URLs, so it's only when a feed is no longer fetched that they begin to add up.
Posting is closed between 03:00:00 and 06:00:00 (GMT - 4 Hours)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mittineague Forum Index -> WordPress All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: